Wednesday, May 21, 2008

This is a Caffeine High

The pun in the title was intended. Okay! So first post! I feel like it should be really epic - like Narnia or Lord of the Rings...or not. Today marks the official one week mark of summer vacation. So far I have achieved a glorious amount of nothing - which would explain the free time for bringing to you, dear readers, a continuous (hopefully bi-weekly) stream of interesting and exciting posts! I'm thinking book of the week/song of the day and then whatever strikes my fancy. At least that is the plan.

Song(s) of the Day: Endless Song of Happiness and New Soul by Yael Naim
Why you should listen: Yael Naim's folksy pop songs will make you want to dance. PLUS...she's Israeli and she sings in English, French, and Hebrew. Her song New Soul was featured in the latest Mac commercial for MacBook Air...if that's not a mark of brilliance, I don't know what is. New Soul was on #9 on the Billboard hot 100 list...the only Israeli solo artist to ever do so. And, come on guys, she's absolutely lovely! So add this to your soundtrack to the summer, everyone. This one's a winner.





Book of the Week: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
Why You Should Pick it Up: Okay, so I actually had to read this book for a class last semester and I'll be honest, I didn't actually read it when I was supposed to (you know, before you actually start talking about it in class...) But during finals week I decided to pick it up again for studying purposes and it ended up being the best idea ever. Not only did I trick myself into thinking I was procrastinating, this book is really, really good. For all of you Bronte fans out there familiar with Jane Eyre, you will find this especially interesting. Wide Sargasso Sea tells the story of Bertha (her real name is Antoinette) before Jane and Rochester, on the island of Jamaica, where the untold tale of madness, passion, and loss unfolds. Was Bertha mad or just misunderstood? Fact: Wide Sargasso Sea won the WH Smith Literary Award in 1967. It's a prequel of sorts and I promise you'll like it.


To Do Today: Check out the latest This American Life podcast.
This week's is all about Prom. There's a pretty interesting story about a high school that had a tornado pass through the town on the night of the prom wiping out 1/3 of the town's houses. The students then try to explain why they think the tornado hit where it did. Interesting stuff.

Weekend Plans: Friday Night Concerts in the Park (May 2-August 15)
5:00-9:00 pm every week at the Ceasar Chavez Park in Downtown Sacramento! This week's performers are: An Angle, Knock Knock, Jay Shaner & The Cowboy Killers, and The Definite Articles.

Lots of Love and MacBooks,
Caitlin

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey! i had to read wide sargasso my senior year of hs, along w/ jane eyre, and while i liked jane eyre more, i def enjoyed wss! keep trying to not be bored caitlin! i'm trying to do the same...

Steve Greene said...

When I saw "New Soul," I instantly thought of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ERgZ9dztk