Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Higher Learning

So my return to my lovely residence on campus was greeted promptly with the smell of marajuana coming from who-knows-where. Super. And quite confusing, seeing as I thought my staff and I were the only people living in the building so far. Before fingers started pointing though, I soon found that the god-awful smell is coming from a friendly (though that is still questionable) skunk that has taken up residence somewhere between my building and our neighbors. I swear that if it doesn't take a hike I will have a few choice words for our little furry friend. Just sayin'. I am glad that no one on staff was lighting up - that would be a little compromising as a RA.

It is good to be back at school, though, because it means higher learning of the less illicit type. Here's a few fun things to check out that are also surprisingly educational:

http://tvtropes.org/ - Ok, this website immediately had me thinking. It explains the various figures of speech and where they come from, specifically their origins and uses in both film and television. Just go in an select the "Random Item" link and it's like an instant conversation topic.

http://www.theintellectualdevotional.com/blog/ - Based on the New York Times best-selling book series, this blog has all kinds of random articles designed to "complete your education" filling in the areas your General Ed. courses most likely glossed over. I like it because it's far from dry. In fact, the books are especially interesting because they feature NY Times articles covering American History, Food for Thought, Health, History, Literature, Modern Culture, Music, Philosophy, Religion, Science, and Visual Arts. I bought the book for my mom for Mother's Day and I like it so much, I want to steal it back.

http://www.iliketotallyloveit.com/ - Everyone needs more semi - useless gadgets to, like, totally love.


Song of the Day: "First Song" - Andrew Bird is so awesome. He is a musical master of violin, whistling, guitar, mandolin, and glockenspiel. He's kinda got the indie, folk rock thing going on - which to me always seems to be the perfect back-to-school genre.

No comments: