Tuesday, July 8, 2008

When Opportunity Comes Knocking...

To put into words the crazy excitement of the last three days would be impossible, so I'm just going to give a quick summary for now. So at church on Sunday the pastor told everyone that a member of our church was about to start filming an independent film on Monday. The best part was that they were looking for volunteers. My ears perked up (which is surprising since my Sunday morning coffee hadn't kicked in yet) because I had no idea about the film and I thought I knew all about artsy goings-on like that. Needless to say, during the rest of the service I could hardly keep still. I wanted to know all about it and how I could be involved. Sunday night, my mom introduced me to Jodi, the wife of the writer of the screenplay/producer of the film (called, tentatively, "Wheel of Knowledge" by Mike Sewell), she told me to show up for the first production meeting Monday night! Ahh! So on Monday most of the cast (the ones who weren't flying out from L.A. later in the week) was there as well as the crew to have the first read through. I soon got the job and the title of Production Assistant along with one of my best friends, Kirsten. The actors read through the script (and I don't want to give too much away, but the most important part was that it's a movie with a great message and really touching characters). So by the end of the reading, Kirsten and I were wiping away tears and totally stoked to start working on what seemed to be the coolest summer volunteer job possible. And then of course, they tell us that crew call is at 6:30 am the next morning. Okay, maybe that part is not so cool. I don't think I've been up before 9:30 since I finished last semester. But, bright and early at 5:00 I woke up, got some coffee, and then hit the road to our location in Rocklin. The day lasted until almost 5:30 pm and was filled with unloading the equipment, hairspray runs, organizing the wardrobe, fixing make-up and hair, getting coffee and food to the actors and directors, running to the store for ice, moving furniture and lights, waiting, taking notes, fixing lunch with Jodi, more waiting, and getting to know everyone on the set. And today was supposed to be the easy day. So wish me luck! Tomorrow we have two locations, Thursday we have FOUR! The next few weeks are going to be busy, to say the least. I'll miss writing for Caffeine, but I'll be back soon!

Song(s) of the day: Okay, so during some down time on the set today, Kirsten and I started listening to the 7th Harry Potter book read by Jim Dale (like the proud Harry Potter lovers that we are). This reminded me of my (embarassingly?) large collection of wizard rock. Yes. Wizard Rock. Google it. Check it out. It will make you laugh. A lot. Accio Love by Ministry of Magic is probably my favorite. They also do a parody of "Here In Your Arms" by Hellogoodbye called "Here In Your Car" about Harry and Ron in the Ford Anglia. 

Lots of love and Lights! Camera! Action! 
Caitlin

1 comment:

Steve Greene said...

WHERE CAN I FIND "HERE IN YOUR CAR?!?!?"