Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Tony Awards have my full attention.

I'm sure there are people in the world who are greater theatre fanatics than myself. You know, those people whose homepage is broadway.com and know every play Sir Ian McKellen (most of us mere mortals know him as Gandalf) has ever been in? I'm not exactly one of those. But at the end of every Broadway season, a transformation occurs. Broadway.com is my new best friend - and all because of the largest event in live theatre - the Tony Awards. 

I'm especially excited about this year's Tony Awards. Here's my favorite part - the performance lineup:


Each of these musical performances have been nominated for either Best Musical or Best Revival. There will also be performances from currently touring shows. Plus Elton John AND Dolly Parton - are you kidding me?! Check out the nominees and presenters too! All of them will be at the Tony Awards airing June 7th at 8:oo pm Pacific Time on CBS.

The performances are fine and dandy, but nothing excites me more than this year's host, Neil Patrick Harris. Not only is he a stud muffin in a tux - he is fuh-nny. You might recognize him from How I Met Your Mother. His more recent popularity, however, has been brought on by the cult phenomenon in the form of his webisode, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. The show won numerous awards and all while being written and produced during the writer's strike. After a number of friends sent me links, I finally watched it and wasn't disappointed. After watching, I became sure Harris was the best choice for this year's host. 

 

After Hugh Jackman's phenomenal performance as the host of the Academy Awards, Neil Patrick Harris has a tough act to follow. Audiences won't soon forget how Jackman brought musical numbers and sexiness back into Hollywood's biggest awards show and made the Oscars watchable again (although I'll admit Ellen the year before was still pretty fun). But anyways, I'm pumped for the Tony's and can't wait to see what Harris has hidden up his sleeves. 

Song(s) of the Day:
Ingrid Michaelson's The Way I Am

Okay, so the clowns in the music video aren't my favorite, but this song it too sweet to resist. Also, who wouldn't want to relax in the summer sun listening to this girl! So great!



Also Check out the Yeah Yeah Yeahs new single Heads Will Roll.

Musical Obsession of the Moment:
Legally Blonde - I know, I know. But you have to admit, the songs are catchy! Plus you can find the entire musical online! It aired on Mtv and is now on tour. 
Click to watch:

Lots of Love and Show Tunes,
Caitlin 

1 comment:

Steve Greene said...

One of my friend's a cappella groups here at UCLA did "The Way I Am" for their end-of-the-year concert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-yo0nyufyc