Sunday, May 24, 2009

Bring me Java! Bring me JOY!



Oh, hey. It's been a while. So begins the second installment (if you could call it that) of my attempt to shed light on the things I'm doing, the cool people are doing, and people from the capital city, in general, are doing this summer. I just finished college: year two. I learned a lot about how to survive on the dangerous streets of stockton. I also discovered the importance of Jack-in-the-Box in any college student's diet. Or I guess, the important role it plays in completely ruining any semblance of a diet you might actually have. And of course, I have the usual assortment of books, movies, music, museums, shows, and events to recommend and/or mercilessly tear apart. This summer I'm working at a wonderful little place called Music Circus, located in the heart of downtown. So, hopefully, I'll have a little more info about midtown here than last summer, too. As a part of my Operation: Occupation plan for this summer I'm starting an effort to move on, do fun things, and become interesting enough to catch the eye of the lead singer of this band. That's all I ask.

But in all seriousness, there's so much to be excited about this summer - from the perfect weather we've been having to the cool stuff happening around town (shut up, you central valley nay-sayers). Let's start with movies. We all know Harry Potter is going to be great (plus, they're releasing book 7 in two parts! Yes!) But let's be honest - it's way more fun to see the great movie no one is talking about yet, to get in on the ground floor before all the hype begins. That's why I'm keeping an eye on these Indie Sleepers. I'm particularly excited about Away We Go from the director of American Beauty and Revolutionary Road. And also, what sounds like a perfect summer film, 500 Days of Summer with Zooey Deschanel (gah! Love her!) Plus, sounds like a great soundtrack

Hello Summer 2009! 

Quick!
•Don't forget to check out Concerts in the Park again this summer every Friday night at Ceasar Chavez plaza.
•The Farmer's Market Returns!
The Lion King is coming to town!
The Tony Awards are on June 7th!

Songs (and more) of the Day:
  • Cough Syrup by The Jakes! Yes, I saw them perform. Yes, they're as cute in person. Yes, they're going to be BIG!
  • Also, I'm obsessed (And I don't use that word lightly) with Super Mash Bros. Their funky combo of 90's hits and today's popular hip-hop and rap is pretty much the greatest dance party material I've seen in a long time. 
  • And I have to plug a great new Producer, Malek, responsible for many of the songs I give out on mix CD's. The cool part is, I know him. The cooler part is, he's won all kinds of beat battles, even appearing on BET. (Justin, if you're reading this, I swear I'm not a creepy groupie). Definitely check out his CD on iTunes, Life in 3D. It's pretty sweet, especially "Crazy Chick," his debut single. 

Books I'm reading:
Persepolis (finally)
A Thousand Splendid Suns (yes, finally!)
I love Khaled Hosseini. Not just because he writes bestsellers - but because these bestsellers are actually good. Book clubs and Intellectuals and World Travelers alike will like his books. Of course, Kite Runner was a tremendous success (both the novel and the film). He was quite the champ on The Colbert Report. Love it. Love him. Love Stephen Colbert for his inappropriateness. 
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Khaled Hosseini
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorGay Marriage

Lots of Love and Summer Fun,
Caitlin

1 comment:

Steve Greene said...

It lives! You've inspired me to resurrect my own. We need to hang out and discuss the contents of these posts in person...