Saturday, March 27, 2010

Curing Writer's Block

I hate writer's block. It always hits when I'm stressed. The last week has been quite possibly the worst in a LONG time. I've been trying to write for my poetry class all weekend. I sit down to write something meaningful and thought-provoking and - nothing. So here's my list of 25 things you can do to cure writer's block.

1. Write for five minutes. Time it.
2. Open up a book, pick out a phrase, and turn it into a poem.
3. Listen to a station on Pandora (Fleet Foxes station is a personal favorite).
4. Write a blog.
5. Call your best friend.
6. See a therapist. Just kidding...sorta.
7. Go to a local chapel/cathedral.
8. Read a book.
9. Get rejected. Bruised ego + emotion = material! (Sarcasm).
10. Doodle.
11. Clean your room.
12. Go outside.
13. Get in your car and drive. Bring your notebook and a pen.
14. Find some quiet at the end of the day.
15. Bake something.
16. Make a story based on an article in the paper.
17. Tell yourself you're just writing the intro paragraph.
18. Go to a coffee shop (you knew I would say this).
19. Write a story about someone you love.
20. Write letters to someone you love - every day. Send them, or save them up and give them as a present all at once.
21. Write an autobiography.
22. Make lemonade.
23. Take a run.
24. Fall in love.
25. If all else fails, don't listen to me. What do I know?

Favorite moment of the day: "So I am experiencing the most redneck thing ever right now. I am at the Nascar races and...there is a wedding being performed on the track. It's beautiful." -Chad

Where to shop:
Sparrow on Miracle Mile. If I had a house and a job that paid me better then I would be in retail heaven. I saw them practically give away an end table (adorable!) for $15 today. And a full queen anne dining table/chairs set? 180 bucks. EVERYTHING is cute. You will love it if you love that vintage, shabby-chic vibe.

Where to Eat: Yogurt My Way and Whirlows on Miracle Mile. It's delicious. Sandwiches, Fro-Yo, and locally-owned. Amazing! Endofstory.

Weekend Plans: Finally the sun is here! I missed it - even if sunshine makes me want to quit school and start doing things with my life. Or at least have class outdoors! This weekend I checked out Miracle Mile, which seems to get better and better ever since I've been in Stockton. Next weekend, I'm BBQing with my buddy Chad and hanging out with the family for Easter. If you're still looking for a rad Easter Service, come check out Reality Stockton! Also, I have grand plans to do some baking for easter. Time to crack out the apron. I miss not having a kitchen - I might not be able to cook, but I can bake like nobody's business.

I was just thinking: Texting is overrated. I'm considering canceling my unlimited plan and telling everyone I know to call me instead. Or send me mail. There is something so wonderful about going to my mailbox and having a letter in there. They're usually from my best friend down in LA, so always a happy experience. Plus, believe it or not, I'd rather talk to my mom instead of text her. Getting a call is (almost) just as good as mail. There's something to be said about talking and conversation - it can't be beat. I probably won't actually go through with it and get rid of texting altogether - it is so handy in a boring class - but maybe technology should just take a break every once in a while. After all, old school car phones weren't so bad, were they??
Okay, maybe they were...


Lots of love and letters,
Caitlin

1 comment:

Magg. said...

I totally know what you mean because I get my writer's blocks sometimes, as well. And going to a coffee shop totally works for me! :D I'm an impossinble coffee addict..