Saturday, June 7, 2008

Espresso Yourself: Check it out!

Summer finally feels like it's taking off, which in my life usually means that I am busy, busy, busy. You see, my summer style doesn't really revolve around lazing around by the pool and having endless movie marathons, I'm all about going out and doing something. Hence, the short hiatus from Caffeine. But fear not, I have returned, and after a lovely three day vacation spent antique shopping and tea partying with my best friend, I come to you with some more new and exciting things you need to check out this summer.

First of all, I'd like to take this opportunity to highlight the Expresso Yourself links on the sidebar. Not only because there are some pretty interesting blogs and websites that will surely entertain you, but also because many of them are interactive, D.I.Y., and boredom busting!

1. 21Q (or Who Knew Sactown was Interesting?) - So I stumbled across this when I was looking up our subscription to the Bee and was surprised to see all that is happening in the world of arts, entertainment, fashion, and pop culture just in Sacramento. With contributors from The Bee and multiple posts a day, there is always something new to check out.

2. 253 (or the Online Novel that Conquers Boredom) - Imagine 253 people on London's Underground headed for Elephant and castle. Each car holds 36 seats and a driver, each with their own stories. This is how 253 begins to unfold. It's the ultimate novel about degrees of separation. As you read snapshots of each character you can follow hyperlinks to another and discover their relationship. It's a throwback to those Choose Your Own Adventure novels. This is really the perfect 0n-the-go novel. It's entirely online, it's interactive, and you can never lose your spot. Ryman's comedy is spot-on and he has a mosaic of insights to share.

3. Cosmogirl DIY (or How I Keep Myself Busy) - Now before you chuckle about my link to Cosmogirl, you have to check it out. Though intended for ladies, the step-by-step instructions for making t-shirts, necklaces, curtains, and the like could be made as gifts too.

4. Domino (or How to Make the World Prettier) - Domino is hands-down my favorite home decór and interior design magazine of all time. If nothing else, it can help you figure out how to make your dorm room somewhat resemble a homey place to live. On the website, however, there are instructions for everything from wiring an outdoor plug to starting your own garden. Basically, the inspiration for my future home will come from the pages of this magazine.

5. Instructables (or Show and Tell) - If you've ever wondered how to make a Smoothie-Making Human Powered Bicycle or an Underwater Microphone then this is the website for you. There's How-to and Show-and-Tell videos on virtually everything.

6. Pandora (or Instant Party Music) - Music analysts look closely at the characteristics of each song and then you can choose a song you like and Pandora will look for songs with similar characteristics based on over 400 different factors. It's great if you're someone who is looking for music to match your mood. Pandora gets it right for me almost every time.

7. Ryan Horsfall, Magician (or My Friend Ryan is cool) - The title says it all really. If you're looking for entertainment for a party or corporate event, Ryan does a really good job...

8. The Big Four Blog (or The Blog Written by My Cool, Smart Friend) - The Big Four refers to the prime interests of this blogger - music, movies, sports, and politics. Filled with random facts, the blogger's take on the latest news headlines, music recommendations, and more - this blog is a constant surprise. Plus, he's my friend, which makes it 10x cooler.

9. The Clothes Horse (or Inspiration for my Closet) - Just one of those guilty pleasure blogs that fulfills my fashion quota of the day on a regular basis.

10. The Sound of Young America (or Not Your Grandmother's Radio Show) - This is a real treat for your ears, brain, and funny bone all in one. Each week, host Jesse Thorn, self proclaimed as "America's Radio Sweetheart," interviews personalities from the entertainment and arts world. From stand-up comedians to authors of what may be the next great American novel, you don't want to miss an episode.

11. This Blog Will Make You a Better, Smarter Person (or Yeah....) - So I stumbled across this blog on accident, but it is actually one of my favorites here. I saw a show at the American College Theatre Festival this year by a student at UCLA, Kit Steinkellner. I was looking for information about her play later on google (it was an amazing show, by the way) and I found her blog, which is also a gem. It's artsy and full of personality and I guess you have to read it to experience it. It's definitely served as a bit of inspiration for my own blog. Make sure you look at the Websites she likes. There are some really great webisodes there that I also love: Clark and Michael, Ryder's Reel, Dorm Life, and Quarterlife, to name a few. Though she doesn't update very often, check out the archive for some pretty interesting stuff.

12. Threadbanger (or Cooler Clothes Than Yours) - Videos on a variety of do-it-yourself projects for your closet and home. I promise that watching these webisodes will bring out your inner craftiness like no other.

13. Zulkey (or A Better Blog) - Claire Zulkey describes it best: "It's kind of a humor site, kind of a blog, kind of a repository for my writings, kind of an after-dinner mint for the brain." Check it.


Song of the Day: So out of nostalgia, the song of the day is Anne's Theme from the film Anne of Green Gables. This was the favorite film of my childhood and this song is what I hear driving around on those perfect summer days. The instrumental is beautiful and heartbreaking. If you've ever been a fan of the books or movies, you'll absolutely love it. If not, you are missing out, in my opinion. I have the youtube piano version here, but the full instrumental (10x better) is on itunes.




Lots of Love and Tea Parties,
Caitlin

1 comment:

Steve Greene said...

"Espresso Yourself" = genius.

Great recommendations. I'm determined to avoid 253 until Finals are over because I know if I let myself get too sucked in, I would be lost for the entire week...